Back to path

Villa Cenacolo

Piazza San Vito 31, Lentate sul Seveso

jQuery Slider

History and Architecture

Built as a country residence and long attributed for stylistic reasons to the architect Pellegrino Tibaldi, who lived in the 16th century, Villa Cenacolo seems in reality to have been constructed between the 17th and 18th centuries. It appears officially in the Theresian Land Register, completed in 1760, as a “farmhouse” with an attached “garden” owned by Marchese Giovanni Francesco Stopani. Over the centuries the villa has been inherited or acquired by some illustrious figures, including Alessandro Schinchinelli, count of Casalbuttano, who had the external wings bounding the main courtyard extended; the sons of the famous physicist from Como Alessandro Volta, Luigi and Zanino, who tried, unsuccessfully, to turn it into a profitable farm; the entrepreneur from Merone Giuseppe Isacco and his descendants. It was Egidio Isacco who embarked on a major work of reorganization and restoration of the complex, devoting his attention to the garden as well, whose formal geometrical layout was converted, as was the fashion in the 19th century, into a Romantic English-style park. In 1992, after a period in which it was owned by the Congregation of the Sisters of Nostra Signora del Cenacolo, the villa was turned into a nursing home for the elderly. The rooms inside, accessible to visitors today on special occasions, still have their original décor.

Hours of opening to the public

Guided tours for groups: by arrangement only on the occasion of “Ville Aperte in Brianza”. For information and booking: Associazione Amici dell’Arte at +39 366-4511175. Information: info@amiciarte.it. Bookings: prenota@amiciarte.it.