Back to path

Chiesa dei SS. Apostoli Pietro e Paolo

Piazza Giovanni XXIII 3, Lissone

jQuery Slider

History and Architecture

The first reliable records of the presence of a church in Lissone date from the mid-13th century, a period in which a list of the churches and altars in the diocese of Milan was drawn up. It tells us that the church of San Pietro already stood at the centre of what is now Piazza Libertà and was of modest size. Over the years it underwent a series of renovations. Towards the end of the 19th century, the increase in the size of the population of Lissone, made a further enlargement necessary, but this was judged to be impracticable. So the decision was taken to build a new church. The foundation stone of the new building was laid and blessed by Cardinal Ferrari in October 1903. Proper work got under way in 1904 and it was consecrated in 1926, to be precise on 16 October, the day of the town fair. The structure was designed by the architect Aristide Conti, who took his inspiration from a style known by the name of Lombard Gothic. The façade is a blend of the classical Italian tradition with the dictates of European Gothic. It can be seen that there is no clear predominance of vertical lines, but what emerges instead is a certain structural equilibrium. The three doors of the naves are made of teak, with square panels on which are carved the names of soldiers from Lissone killed at the time of the Great War. In the central portal is set a mosaic depicting Christ the King, while the ones in the smaller doorways represent patrons. Inside, the Gothic character of the structure is underlined by the nave and two aisles flanked by pointed arches standing on shaped pillars. At the top of these pillars are set capitals adorned with soft and supple leaves. Stained-glass windows and large rose windows open in the walls of the structure. The high altar rises majestically against the evocative backdrop of the stained-glass windows of the chancel. Made entirely from marble, it draws on Lombard Gothic motifs, accentuating them and characterizing the entire structure. The church, however, has a Latin cross plan. The lower part of the campanile, which stands on the right side of the church, is square in plan. At a height of 56 metres it narrows and becomes hexagonal in section. On the top is set a gilded copper statue of the Guardian Angel with his hands joined in prayer.

Hours of opening to the public

Building open all week and at the times of services.