Back to path

Villa Antona Traversi e Chiesa di San Vittore

Piazza Vittorio Veneto,4, Meda

jQuery Slider

History and Architecture

The Benedictine convent of San Vittore was founded in the early 9th century, around the year 830, and is known today as the complex of Villa Antona Traversi and the church of San Vittore. The conversion is the result of the project carried out by the architect Leopoldo Pollack at the beginning of the 19th century. The nearly one-thousand-year-old convent of San Vittore was in fact closed in May 1798 by a decree of the Cisalpine Republic. The nuns were expelled and the convent’s property, including the buildings, was sold at auction. For the new building Pollack decided to erase all traces of the old convent and construct an imposing neoclassical structure in its place. The result was the creation of an aristocratic villa with imposing spaces. The church of San Vittore was spared these alterations. It is located on the grounds of the villa and is a Renaissance jewel of 1520 frescoed by Bernardino Luini and his school. Pollack also redesigned the cloister and a series of halls inside, turning them into an elegant courtyard and rooms decorated in the neoclassical style.

Hours of opening to the public

Villa Antona Traversi: open during “Ville Aperte in Brianza” (last Sunday in September) and other public events or by arrangement with the owners. Church of San Vittore: free guided tours on the last Sunday of every month from March to October. Timings: 10-12 am, 3:30-6 pm, organized by the Associazione Amici dell’Arte (except September for Ville Aperte).