Back to path

Santuario del Ss.mo Crocifisso

Piazza Vittorio Veneto, Meda

jQuery Slider

History and Architecture

The earliest evidence in writing of the presence of the church on the territory of Meda dates from 1036 and records the pledge of a certain Anzeverto to donate a field measuring five poles to the priests of the church of Santa Maria Nascente. So at the time the church was independent of the convent of San Vittore. As the latter grew increasingly powerful on the economic as well as political and religious level, however, it incorporated the church and arrogated all rights over it, above all that of choosing the chaplain or vicar. A report made in 1567 by Leoneto da Clivone, envoy of St Charles Borromeo, tells us that the church was bare and in a precarious state of conservation. Perhaps it was partly as a result of this description that, on the occasion of a pastoral visit in 1581, St Charles “[...] prescribed that a new church be built in the place of the existing one that is too small, with a campanile on which should be hung at least two bells”. In May 1798 the convent was suppressed and, a few months later, the complex that housed it was acquired by a supplier of the French army. It was in the following decade that Santa Maria Nascente embarked on a normal life as a parish church and not until the second half of the 19th century that the problem of a larger church started to emerge. Given the impossibility of building a new one, the decision was taken to expand the old one with the addition of two aisles, an archway at the end of the nave, an altar and a new campanile. The extension was completed in 1881, while the façade was built in 1893. The church has a nave and two aisles and almost every surface is adorned with frescoes, decorations and statues. The paintings of greatest quality are by Luigi Morgari (1857-1935), an important member of a family of painters active in many churches in Piedmont, Lombardy and Liguria. In the church in Meda Morgari worked in collaboration with Primo Busnelli, a decorator from Meda, and this partnership was continued in other locations. A contribution was also made by local craftsmen, able to draw on an established tradition in the sector of the decoration of furniture.

Hours of opening to the public

Free guided tours on the last Sunday of every month from March to October at 4:30 pm, organized by Pro Loco Pro Meda (tours are also held at the time of the “Ville Aperte in Brianza” event).